About the Lecture
Seasonal Hyperacute Panuveitis (SHAPU)—16 PDA points (AOM-BIO)
Day 4 (8 am – 5 pm): Eliya Shrestha, M.D.
Dr. Shrestha will introduce clinical features and classification of SHAPU. According to her, SHAPU occurs on only odd years in the Fall to winter and affects mostly young children. Due to limited access to healthcare and a lack of education about the disease, many young children lose their eyesight within a week of the onset. In addition to losing their eyesight, some children may also suffer from permanent disfigurement. We will be visiting the region in the Fall during an odd year (2023), so we should expect to see many cases of SHAPU. Currently, conventional medicine offers limited treatment options and there are no studies evaluating the efficacy of acupuncture treatment in the treatment of SHAPU. Therefore, our best diagnosis assessment and treatment skills will be needed in this important endeavor.
Professor Shrestha, ophthalmologist and Medical Director of Himalaya Eye Hospital, graduated from Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu and had fellowships in oculoplasty and ocular oncology at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. She has participated in multiple research projects about a variety of eye conditions including SHAPU.
Dr Eliya Shrestha, Dr Hara Maya Gurung, Dr Indra Man Maharjan, Dr Babita Gurung, Dr Hari Bikram Adhikari. Empty Sella Turcica and Papilloedema : Two cases reports. Global Journal of Medical Research. Vol 21 issue 1 version 1: ISSN 2249-4618 & Print ISSN:0975-5888.
- Maharjan IM, Shrestha E, Gurung B, Gurung HM, Adhikari HB, Baral P*, 2021. Pain perception in cataract surgery: topical versus peribulbar anaesthesia. Nepal J Ophthalmol; 13 (25): 50-58. Doi https://doi.org/10.3126/nepjoph.v13i1.30574
- Shrestha E, Banstola L, Man I, Gurung B, Gurung H, Adhikari HB. Assessing Profile and Treatment Outcome in Patients of Ocular Surface Squamous Neoplasia (OSSN). Nepal J Ophthalmol; 2019 Jul; 11(22):181-188. doi: 10.3126/nepjoph.v11i2.27825. PMID: 32792695.
- Shrestha E, Adhikari HB, Maharjan IM, Gurung B. Co morbidities among cataract- operated patients in Rural Nepal. Nepal J Ophthalmol. 2017 Jul; 9(18):156-159. doi: 10.3126/nepjoph.v9i2.19260. PMID: 29634705.
- Kinderan, Y., Shrestha, E., Maharjan, I., & Karmacharya, S. (1). Pattern of ocular trauma in the Western Region of Nepal. Nepal J Ophthalmol. 2012; 4(1), 5-9. https://doi.org/10.3126/nepjoph.v4i1.5843
- Shrestha, E., Shrestha, J., Shayami, G., & Chaudhary, M. (1). The conjunctival impression cytology between the diagnosed cases of dry eye and normal individuals. Nepal J Ophthalmol. 2011; 3(1), 39-44. https://doi.org/10.3126/nepjoph.v3i1.4277
- Shrestha, E. A profile and treatment outcome of seasonal hyper-acute panuveitis. Nepal Journal Ophthalmol. 2010; 2(1), 35-38. https://doi.org/10.3126/nepjoph.v2i1.3702
Day 5 (8 am – 5 pm): Harimaya Gurung, M.D.
Dr. Gurung will discuss SHAPU complications and disease management. Participants will be expected to collaborate on comprehensive TCM treatment strategies including point selections and herbal formulas.
An assistant professor at Himalaya Eye Hospital, Dr. Gurung has treated a large number of SHAPU cases as well as other eye diseases.
- Hara Maya Gurung, Eliya Shrestha, Babita Gurung, Hari Bikram Adhikari and Pawan Baral. Retinal Vein Occlusion: Demography, Types and Risk Factors – A Cross-Sectional Hospital based Study. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology 4.5 (2021):128-131.
- Hara Maya Gurung, Eliya Shrestha, Babita Gurung, Hari Bikram Adhikari and Pawan Baral. Endophthalmitis Following Intravitreal Injection Bevacizumab in an Operation Room Setting of Nepal. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology 4.9 (2021):17-21.
- Haramaya Gurung, Ranju Kharel Sitaula, Pratap Karki, Anadi Khatri, Sagun Narayan Joshi, Indraman Maharjan and Madan Prasad Upadhyay. Sporadic summer outbreak of SHAPU in even years: Does the pattern match with the usual autumn outbreak? Am J Ophthalmol Case Reports 24 (2021) 101198. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajoc.2021.101198
- Hara Maya Gurung, Dr. Krishna Gurung, Dr. Anju Gurung, et al. Choroidal Tuberculoma in a healthy, immunocompetent patient. Nepal J Ophthalmol 2021
- Co-Author (Research)
- Gurung B, Shrestha E, Gurung H M, Adhikari H B, Gurung A, Gurung K, Baral P, 2021. Intravitreal Injection Bevacizumab: Main Indications. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology 4.8 (2021): 37-39. DOI https://doi.org/10.31080/asop.2021.04.0360
- Gurung B, Gurung A, Gurung H M, Shrestha E, Adhikari H B, Gurung K, Baral P, 2021. Ocular trauma during COVID-19 lockdown 2020 at Himalaya Eye Hospital. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology. 4.8 (2021): 40-43. DOI https://doi.org/10.31080/asop.2021.04.0361
- Indraman Maharjhan, Eliya Shrestha, Babita Gurung, Hara Maya Gurung, Hari Bikram Adhikari, Pawan Baral. Pain Perception in Cataract Surgery: Topical versus Peribulbar Anaesthesia. Nepal J Ophthalmol 2021; 13(25): 50-58. DOI: 10.3126/nepjoph.v13i1.30574
- Arjun Shrestha, Chunu Shrestha, Pratap Karki, Hara Maya Gurung and Takeshi Naito. Strengthening retina eye care services in Nepal: Retina eye care of Nepal project. BMC Health Services Research 2020; 20:986. DOI: 10.1186/s12913-020-05850-x
- Madan Prasad Upadhyay, Ranju Kharel Sitaula, Anu Manadhar, Emily W.Gower, Pratap Karki, Hara Maya Gurung, Indraman Maharjan, Sameul Reuben, Biraj Man Karmacharya and Sagun Narayan Joshi. The Risk Factors of Seasonal Hyperacute Panuveitis. Ophthalmic Epidemiology 2020; 1-8. DOI: 10.1080/09286586.2020.1820533
- Eliya Shrestha, Laxman Bastola, Indra Man Maharjhan, Babita Gurung, Hari Maya Gurung, Hari Bikram Adhikari and Isha Karmacharya. Assessing Profile and treatment outcome in patients of Ocular Surface Squamous Neoplasia (OSSN). Nepal J Ophthalmol 2019; 11(22): 181-188. DOI: 10.3126/nepjoph.v11i2.27825
Disparities among Tibetan Communities in Nepal—4 PDA points (Ethics)
Sonam Sangpo, Immediate Past President of Local Tibetan Assembly, Tashiling
Mr. Sangpo will discuss the current situation of the Tibetan refugees and its impact on future generations. Many Tibetan refugees in Nepal are unable to pursue an education, find work or conduct business, and access basic necessities like clean water and medical care.
As a project director for Global Action UK, Mr. Sangpo represents Antipodeans Australia in Nepal & India. He has also worked as a project coordinator for the American Himalayan Foundation and Fordays Co. Ltd. in Japan.
Out Standing President of Lions club 1992/93
Out Standing District Chairman of Lions Club of International 1996/97
Best District Chairman of Lions Club of International 1997/98
Best Lions of Year 1997/98
Best Region Chairman of Lions Club of International 1999/2000
14 International Lions President’s appreciation Award
Outstanding service in Tourism 2004 by RHAN
Project Co ordination appreciation award from ITE Bishan Singapore
Long service for Lionism Award 2006
Social Service Award by Rising Circle Nepal 2008
Budha Jayanti Samaroh Samiti Award 2009
Social Service & Tourism(Vocational Award 2010) by Rotary Club International,Midtown Pokhara
Social Service Award, Lions club of Pokhara Gandaki
Social Service Award, Sarangkot Village Development 2012
Social Service Award, Lions Club of Pokhara Chautari Bindabasini 2014
Lions International President Medal for social service 2013
District Governor’s Medal for social service 2014
District Governor’s Four star medal 2016
Dagar Social service Award 2017
Lions of the Month 2017 October
Lion’s 100 years service award 2017
Bharat Lal Humanitarian Award 2020
Outstanding social service Award by Lions Club International District 325 J Nepal 2023